Tuesday, October 15, 2013

This is a big year for me – Miquel

This is a big year for me – Miquel


Defender Ignasi Miquel says his year at Leicester City is the most important of his young career.
The Spanish centre-back says he has come on a season-long loan from Arsenal to show what he can do and demonstrate to Gunners boss Arsene Wenger that he is ready to feature regularly in his Premier League squad.
However, the 21-year-old admits he has to be patient at City before he gets his chance because of the excellent form of captain Wes Morgan and youngster Liam Moore.
"Firstly, I have to focus on my time here in Leicester and try to get as much experience and games as I can," he said.

"Then I must go back to Arsenal and try to get into the team. That will be very tough but that is what I plan to do.
"So this is a very important year for me at Leicester. I have to show to myself and Arsenal what I can do and that I can play.
"It has been a little frustrating because I haven't played many games so far, but I have to be realistic. Both the centre-backs, Wes and Liam, have been fantastic so far.
"You want to be in the team, but you have to be conscious of the fact they have been doing great.
"So I just have to keep training as hard as I can to convince the manager I am good enough to be starting.
"Competition is everywhere. That is football and I just have to prove myself."
Miquel's cause has been hampered by the wealth of central defensive talent at City.
As well as Morgan and Moore, City have also signed Poland international Marcin Wasilewski, and another experienced centre-back, Zak Whitbread, has now gone out on loan to Derby because of the strong competition for a starting berth, which will get even fiercer when Sean St Ledger is back up to full speed after recovering from a knee injury.
Miquel knows there is plenty of experienced defenders at City, but plans to learn from all of them.
He recently partnered Wasilewski in the Capital One Cup win over Derby and said it was a great experience.
"I can learn from all the players around me," he said.
"They have been in so many situations and they can teach me a lot.
"Playing alongside Marcin against Derby was great because he has so much experience. That is what I need," added Miquel.
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-19938361-detail/story.html

No comments: