Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bergkamp: I want to come back to Arsenal as a coach and Ozil and I are different

Bergkamp: I want to come back to Arsenal as a coach and Ozil and I are different


Arsenal Logo
The former Gunners striker has admitted that he still has a deep-rooted love for the north London club and would relish a return to the Emirates Stadium.
Dennis Bergkamp was a player that caught the imagination of football fans across England during his time with Arsenal, as part of a highly successful team comprised by Arsene Wenger.
However, the now-retired Dutch star could well be on his way back to north London in the future, as Bergkamp has admitted that he would relish the opportunity to return to the club as a coach.
Bergkamp is currently an assistant coach at boyhood club Ajax, but has stated that a return to the club where he spent 11 years as a player would appeal.
“The feeling Johan Cruyff has had for Barcelona, I have the same with Arsenal,”
“At Arsenal it was a good click. I always enjoyed it. I never had a bad day there. It is always on my mind. It is part of my ambition to come back at some stage.
“I can’t really plan ahead. I know I will be here [at Ajax] for at least another three or five years and then I don’t know. I don’t see myself being at Ajax for the rest of my coaching career. I don’t see myself as a manager.
"I see myself as being part of the coaching staff. I really enjoy that role, especially the individual training with the strikers.
“I’ve spoken to or have heard about others [former Arsenal colleagues] who would also love to come back.
“Steve Bould is there now which is excellent. I’ve spoken to Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry would love to come back to Arsenal one day. Tony [Adams] is a big option as well.”
Bergkamp’s comparison to Ozil is understandable given their supreme technical abilities, but the 44-year-old has stated that the Germany international’s his own man.
“I don’t like comparing. We’re all unique. But I do understand the similarities people see and I believe he can be very important to the team,” he continued.
"It is still early days. He is a tremendous player with a lot of effective skills like controlling the ball, making creative passes and assists, taking the right position in the field every time. And he’s extremely experienced.
“Putting all that together I think you’ve got a player who can be the missing link in the Arsenal team, a player who will make a striker score goals, who will link up in Arsenal’s position-game and who will score goals as well.”
Individual brilliance is something that is hard to coach into players, however having Bergkamp back at Arsenal would invoke a feeling of nostalgia and offer the expertise of an experienced international player. It looks like it may well be a few years down the line, but the Dutch star’s intention to return to north London if given the chance will come as music to the ears of Arsenal supporters.

No comments: